Ugly Dolls Workshop: It's OK to Be Different
Design and Make Your Own Unique Plush Toy! (2-day workshop)
Truth: We debated long and hard whether anybody would sign up for an Ugly Dolls workshop because well… who wants to make ugly things?
If you read into the story Ugly Dolls though, you will see that its about free-spirited characters who confront what it means to be different, struggle with a desire to be loved, and ultimate celebrate who you truly are.
This message is so important, especially in this time of Instagram perfection that we absolutely want to run this Ugly Dolls workshop!
We will share stories from books and discuss why we all have our differences and how these make us collectively stronger and more interesting! Your child will then design his or her own doll and write its back story, before bringing it to life with a sewing machine!
We will introduce the fundamentals of using a sewing machine (hurrah for the makers from Fashion MakerSpace) and your child will learn how to construct and sew his own plush toy!
This is a great programme for siblings to attend together, with each of them expanding on their individual creativity within a structured programme.
Ugly Dolls Workshop Details:
- Date: Saturday, 8 & 15 June (made over two Saturdays)
- Time: 9.30am – 12pm (noon)
- Duration: 2.5 hours x 2 sessions
- Venue: 258A South Bridge Road, Singapore 058807
- Skill Segment: Sewing, using the sewing machine
- Age Suitability: 6 to 12 years old
- Price: $128. Get 10% off when you sign up for two classes and 15% off when you sign up for three!
- What your child takes home:
- Customised Plush Toy x 1
How your child benefits:
1. Expand on World Knowledge: Award-winning storyteller, Peilin, will share tales of characters with unique differences, using documentary-type visuals and storytelling.
2. Practice Social Skills and Emotional Awareness through peer-learning activities and discussions. Every child gets to contribute ideas and thoughts to the knowledge pool to build self-confidence.
3. Enhance Physio-Motor and Visualisation Skills through handling textiles and practicing how to construct and put together their own plush toy.
Things to Note:
- You have the option to drop-off your child or stay with us during the programme. Just let us know what works better for you!
- Photos and videos might be taken during the programme, so let us know beforehand if you prefer your child be excluded from this
- We need a minimum of 5 sign-ups one week before to hold the workshop. You will be informed via email 2 days before with the next available workshop slot, if the workshop does not happen. So invite your buddies to come play together!
- Detailed terms and conditions here.
How to Register?
To register, fill in the sign up form, or email us at email@example.com, or whatsapp / call +65 82885457. Please indicate the workshop you’re interested in (date & time) and the name & age of your child. Slots are limited, so book early!
*Click here for Terms and Conditions.
About Our Skill Experts
Inspired by the sharing and spirit of maker spaces, Fashion Makerspace was created out of the desire to imbue the passion for creating and to enable and impart the skills of sewing into anyone’s keen fingers. Hosting a variety of sewing and digital designing workshops for kids and adults, Fashion Makerspace welcomes any hobbyist or avid sewer to join them in a gratifying labour of love with like-minded enthusiasts.
Check them out here at https://fashionmakerspace.com.